1. How are you? (Opening of the letter)
2. Spring is fast approaching (Weather)
3. Thanks for the letter
4. Thanks for your kindness
5. Thanks for the gift
6. Sorry for not writing
7. I'm sending pictures
8. Please write to me
9. See you soon.(closing of the letter)
12.Condolences and sympathy
14.Inquiry after health
17.Notice of acceptance
18.Notice of removal
19.Notice of welcome
22.Reply to the inquiry
23.Requesting a favor
25.Letter of congratulations
35.New year's greetings
36. Lexicon (Example)
1. How are you? (Opening of the letter)
- I believe that you are well and fine, and am happy to say that I am also doing well.
- I hope that you are doing well.
- I trust that this letter will find you well and fine.
- I hope that everything is well with your family.
- School is out and the students have now gone their various ways for the summer. This makes us even more aware of the fact you are also gone!
- I have now returned, physically, to Japan, but my heart and memories are still with you and the exciting times we had in connection with --. I will be long remembered, I assure you.
- What with the holiday season fast approaching, I am sure you are quite busy these days.
- What with the winter holiday season fast approaching, I imagine that you are quite busy these days.
- Time passes surprisingly fast. I hope and believe that this letter will find you well and fine.
- We have beautiful weather here.
- I hope you are keeping well in this weather.
- I hope that this (season) finds you healthy and in good sprits.
- The holiday season is upon us.
- We can feel that (season) is just around the corner.
- (Season) is fast approaching.
- (Season) is here and we can feel that (season) is fast approaching.
- (Season) has come at last.
- (Season) is late this year.
- Although we still have slight snow or sleet occasionally, the sunlight we often enjoy tells us that spring is just around the corner.
- The weather in Japan is changing. The trees have their buds and are ready to spring into leaves.
- The occasional warm breezes and sunshine is a reminder that "summer fun" is just around the corner.
- We came into mild weather and sunshine.
- I wish you might be here to enjoy our beautiful spring flowers.
- Almond trees and acacia trees are in full bloom. So are many flowers.
- Spring is here and we can feel that summer is fast approaching.
- The rainy season has just set in; and we are having gloomy weather every day.
- It has been raining steadily for a week.
- The dampness penetrates everything. I hope this rainy season will be over soon.
- The beautiful sunshine has finally come through the window.
- Summer is fast approaching and arrangements are going very smoothly for you.
- I hope you may keeping well in this hot weather.
- Summer has come at last. We are having hot weather now in Japan.
- Oregon is still having a beautiful summer, dry and nice.
- We have had 90 to 95 degrees.
- It must be very hot where you are, so be careful.
- Ashland is now in its most colorful time, soon to be replaced with stark winter scenes and gray skies.
- Fall is a good season for catching up on reading. It gets dark so early.
- It is hard to believe, but a new year is fast approaching us.
- At nearly the last possible moment we would like to wish you a very happy new year.
- It has been getting cooler lately and there are indications of winter in the air.
- I hope you are keeping well in this cold weather.
- I trust you are doing well notwithstanding this lingering cold.
- This morning it is very cold and crisp, sunny with snow on ground. Got down to about -10 degree last night.
- We are having very cold weather and we are to have more of it.
- Snow fell lightly this morning.
- Today has passed with snow flurries all day.
- Ice had formed on the trees and grass.
3. Thanks for the letter.
- Your letter was a pleasant surprise.
- Many thanks for the post card you sent me from Kyoto. I was glad to receive some news of you.
- Thank you for your most recent correspondence.
- Thank you for your letter of May 22.
- I am glad to acknowledge your letter of June 3.
- I wish to express my heartfelt thanks for your courteous letter.
- It was very nice to hear from you.
- Your letter of April 2 was most welcome.
- I am sending this by Mr. A who has agreed to serve as a courier.
- It's very nice to hear from you.
- It's a pleasant surprise to hear from you.
- First of all, I wish to thank you very much for your kind cooperation and courtesy extended to us.
- We are honored and pleased to have received your invitation.
- Thank you for all the time and effort you and your staff have expanded on our behalf.
- Thank you for your time and attention given to us.
- In closing, I would like to thank you, again, for all of the hard work you have obviously put into our program.
- I enjoyed our brief visit very much and feel like I accomplished a great deal.
- I returned to my place and I am now living a quiet and rather uneventful life.
- I am now settled again, after having a very enjoyable stay in the U.S. and want you to know how much I enjoyed my visit with you. Your hospitability was most generous.
- I appreciate many favors you have shown me during my stay in this country.
- I express my gratitude for your courtesy extended to me at that moment.
- Again, my deepest gratitude and appreciation for your gracious reception. I look forward to my next visit to the U.S. and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us in the near future, as well.
- Let me thank you in advance for what you will do for me.
- Thank you for all the time and effort you have extended on our behalf.
- Let me express my hearty gratitude for all the elaborate arrangementyou kindly made for us.
- I am particularly indebted to you for your assistance in arranging ---
- Thank you for a most rewarding and exciting time.
- Thank you for being such a good host.
- Now that my wife and I have returned from the most enjoyable trip to the U.S., the first thing I want to do is to express our appreciation to you for your gracious hospitality. We are very grateful for the thoughtful care and concern shown to us in so many ways by you and your staff.
- Thank you all you did to make our visit so delightful.
- I remember with pleasure my visit with you this summer.
- It was with some sentiment that I left the U.S. It was also with a great deal of gratitude to the people of Ashland who had kindly helped me to carry out my responsibilities without committing serious blunders.
- My recent visit has been successful and fruitful.
- I am happy to inform you that I arrived in Japan safely on April 25th.
- I am returning the book you loaned me. Many thanks. It was both interesting and instructive, and I enjoyed reading it.
- The gracious hospitality you gave me was the most memorable feature of my recent trip through Hokkaido. I want you to know how much I appreciate your kindness.
- This is just a note to thank you for your kindness to me recently, and to tell you how I enjoyed the visit with you.
- It was very kind of you to come to the station to see me off. I certainly appreciate it.
- Dear Dr. Subamia:
I was delighted to travel to Bali in April and I understand that you provided some very capable assistance for my visit. Although this note has been delayed, you have my heartfelt thanks for all you didto make the trip such a success.
With appreciation and best wishes.
5. Thanks for the gift.
- I am in receipt of the beautiful plaque, which came as a great surprise to me.
- I have received the vase which you have kindly sent me. I appreciate your kindness very much indeed.
- You have delighted me with your lovely souvenir.
- Thank you for your thoughtfulness in sending me that beautiful scarf. You are observant. I will treasure it.
- I guess I owe you a letter.
- I apologize for this belated response; however, in September I sent a card which, apparently, did not reach you. I hope that I posted it to the right address.
- "No news is good news, but just a line is better."
- Much belatedly I would like to acknowledge with many thanks receipt of your letter dated May 22.
- Let me apologize for my delay in answering your letter of June 11.
- Please pardon my long silence and my delay in --
- I am sorry for the delay in sending this letter.
- I should have written to you much earlier. Thank you for your letter of June 23.
- Please forgive me for my silence.
- I apologize for this belated letter of thanks --
- Please accept my apologies for my communication delay.
- Things have been busy here and it has been taken me a week to deal with it.
- This reply has been delayed somewhat due to the pressures of school opening and getting classes started.
- This letter has been delayed due to the pressure of my getting caught up with work once I returned to the university.
- I apologize for this belated letter of thanks for your letter dated ...
- Please pardon my long silence and my delay in sending you this letter.
- Please forgive me the delay of my reply due to my absence from Japan.
- We are very sorry for the delay in sending this letter.
- You will find here enclosed some of the pictures taken on that occasion.
- Attached please find ---.
- I enclosed some shots which I have taken.
- I enclose a self-addressed envelope for your convenience in replying.
- I am enclosing a copy for you, hoping you will find it useful.
- This is nothing much, but I hope you will accept it.
- I wish you to accept the enclosed small present.
- Just a short note to send you copies of pictures I had taken. I hope that our paths cross again soon.
- I will be awaiting your response to my comments concerning --
- I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I shall appreciate your views on this matter.
- Please drop me a note.
- Looking forward to your favorable answer.
- An early reply to these questions will be appreciated, so that we can get started on travel plans.
9. See you soon.(Closing of the letter) [See you soon]
- I hope business calls you to this country.
- I hope that our paths cross again soon.
- Please convey my best to --
- I wish to be remembered to --
- Please extent my warmest greetings to
- Please send my cordial regards to --
- Please give my greetings to --
- Noriko joins me in sending our best wishes to you, hoping that we will see each other again in the near future.
- Noriko wishes to be remembered to you.
- Meanwhile, please convey ---.
- Your counsel in this regard will be appreciated greatly.
- With kindest personal regards and best wishes to you.
- Best wishes for another academic year.
- Please accept my apologies for having to do this.
- Please accept my apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
- I must apologize for not keeping my engagement with you yesterday. I simply forget about it. I hope you will forgive me this time.
- For Mr. Keith Chambers. With my compliments, Mas Kuwabara April 2, 1989
- My heartfelt sympathy in your loss.
- We are very sorry to hear about the passing of your ---.
- If this schedule puts too great a burden on you, we will certainly understand and we can adjust our schedule accordingly.
- It would be very helpful to us to know --
- Will you please inform me how I might obtain a copy of "---" and what price it is.
- So glad you are feeling better.
- I wish you speedy and full recovery.
- Please don't overstrain yourself.
- I was shocked to learn that ---
- I hasten to thank you for your kind inquiry after my condition. The doctor assures me that I can lease the hospital in a few days.
- What wonderful flowers! It was so kind you to remember me. I am feeling much better now and hope to be coming home soon.
- This is to introduce to you Mr. A, the bearer of this. I should highly appreciate it if you could find time to see him, although I know you are buried with work these days.
- Coming April 20th, Sunday, is the 15th birthday of my first son. Would you care to come over to a little party to be held at my house at 11 a.m. of that day?
- We honored and pleased to have received your invitation.
- Thank you very much for your thinking of us. We are happy to accept your kind invitation.
- I must regretfully refuse your kind hospitality and I hope that you will understand.
- Unfortunately I shall not be in Tokyo at that time and must beg you to excuse me.
- Than you for your invitation to meet some friends of yours. I should, of course, be very happy to do so if it were not for a previous engagement. I am sorry. We are both sorry that we are unable to have dinner with you. We have a previous engagement. Thank you thinking of us.
- Thank you for the other night. I enjoyed myself immensely. Please convey my thanks and kind regards to your family.
- With many thanks for a most agreeable evening.
- With so many thanks for your kind hospitability.
- Thank you for including us last night.
- The barbecue at your home will long be remembered. Our compliment to the chef!
- I was very much pleased to receive your note. I shall be delighted.
- I gladly accept your kind invitation. It will afford me very great pleasure to meet our old friends.
- What you suggest is all right with me. So let it be six tomorrow evening.
- Your involvement in this endeavor has been essential to the progress that has occurred.
- This is to inform you that this time I have moved to the address given below.
- I am excited about having you, and would like to welcome you following the schedule below.
- OCTOBER 10,1990
Received from Mr. Charles Johnson, the sum of $10,000 in payment of a Smith Typewriter
- Please find enclosed check for $--- in payment of the following. Your acknowledgement of the receipt will be appreciated.
- Invoice Date Description Amount
- In reply to your letter of April 10th, I would like to state ---
- I hope this brief explanation will help clarify the points raised in your letter.
- Let me ask you to do me a great favor?
- Would you kindly do the following for us?
- In the event that you can do this for me, I shall always be obliged to you.
- I would be very happy if you will accord me the opportunity of an interview.
- It would be a great honor if I were allowed to translate your work.
- I would like a copy of "---". Would you let me know if you have one available and its price with postage.
- I am sorry if this schedule would make any inconvenience to you.
- I am proceeding at full speed with the arrangement for your program.
- My schedule is like this. I hope that the visit can be relaxed and pleasant for all.
- Let me know your convenience.
- Please let me know your departure date as soon as it is set.
- I would like to arrange for your living accommodation.
- I can let you know more specific details at a later date when we get everything confirmed.
- I can make it a definite part of my schedule.
- I have enclosed a copy on my itinerary which has us arriving on April 23.
- I have enclosed a copy of my itinerary for your inspection.
- The program shapes up as follows.
- Your program is appealing and beneficial.
- My schedule precludes my involvement to this project.
- Their delay of arrival must have inconvenienced you a great deal.
- If this schedule puts too great strain or burden on you, do not hesitate to let us know.
- Thank you for setting aside a full week for --
- Thank you setting aside some time for us to get together.
- My schedule will not permit me to extend my time further.
- Please advise us if there are problems with the schedule.
- We are eagerly looking forward to our visit.
- We are anticipating having a business meeting with you.
- We have planned the following schedule.
- If you find this modification agreeable, I am prepared to implement it immediately.
- If the weather will cooperate, we would like to ---.
26. Birth celebration
- Congratulation on the arrival of your new son.
- We are delighted to hear the news. Hearty congratulations!
- My best wishes are with you on your birthday.
- With all good wishes
- Hoping the future will bring your dreams alive. congratulations!
- Sincerest congratulations upon your graduation.
- Heartiest congratulations on your marriage and best wishes for the year to come.
- My lasting happiness and prosperity be upon the newly married couple.
- Congratulations on making a dream come true.
- Congratulations on your promotion.
- It was with great pleasure that I learned you have been promoted. Wishing you every success in your important office, I hasten to extend my heartiest congratulations to you.
- Congratulations on your new job.
- Congratulation on passing the exam.
- Congratulation on your success.
- Good luck with all your activities.
- Hearty congratulations to you on ---!
34. Christmas message
- Wishing you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with happiness.
- Love and best wishes for a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
- All good wishes for Christmas and lots of Happiness in the coming year 1990
- With Best Wishes for a Happy and Peaceful New Year
- Many thanks for your compliments of the New Year.
- I heartily reciprocate the good wishes you expressed in your kind note.
- Very many thanks for your early compliments of the season. I reciprocate the good wishes. Best regards to all.
- Season's Greetings with Best Wishes for the New Year
- With best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful New Year
- With all good wishes
- Much love and best wishes for a Happy New Year.
- Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
- All good wishes for Christmas and lots of Happiness in the coming Year 1990
- May Christmas Day be filled with joys and the New Year being Happiness
- Many thanks for your compliments of the New Year. I heartily reciprocate the good wishes you expressed in your kind note.
- I trust all of you have celebrated the New Year in sound health.
- as previously stated , at your convenience, addressee, body of the letter, enclosure,
- by registered mail, by separate mail,
- c.c.(carbon copy), Confidential, FYI( For your information), heading,
- If occasion offers, N.B., Please forward., P.S.( postscript),salutation( ex. Dear sir), the aforementioned address, the content, the under-mentioned address, to arrange for our living accommodations, to catch up on the projects, to detail, to expedite your visit, to write a follow-up letter to our last correspondence of October 4.
- No news is good news, but just a line is better.
- He will be corresponding with you.
- I will reserve it for another occasion.
- I would appreciate knowing --
- We are proceeding at full speed with the arrangement for your program.
- Your attendance is earnestly solicited.
- Your suggestion meet with our approval.
A quick note
- This is just a quick note to tell you that ...
- President teddy Hendra
Flora Beach Hotel
P.O. Box 1040, JL. Bakung Sari 13 A
Times passes surprisingly fast. Things have been busy here and It has been taken me this long to deal with it. I hope and believe that this letter will find you well and fine. Autumnal breeze has come at last in Japan. We are having the most wonderful season now, with tree leaves turning into yellow and red.
-I have now returned , physically, to Japan but my heart and memories are still with you and the exciting times we had in Bali. I really enjoyed our brief visit to your Flora Beach Hotel you arranged for us. I feel like accomplished a great deal.
I received the gift which you have kindly sent me. I will treasure it.
Thank you for your gracious hospitability you offered us. I hope that our paths cross again soon. Give best regards to all your staff.
- Dear Teddy-san
Times passes surprisingly fast. Things have been busy here and It has been taken me this long to deal with it. I believe that this letter will find you well and fine.
Thank you for your time and attention given to us when Mr.Arai and I visited you in February.
I am now in U.S. and will make it back to Japan soon.
I have a plan to visit KL in May.
I hope that our paths cross again soon.
Give best regards to all your staff.