Renkeiji was established by Renkei Taishi （蓮馨大師） in 1549.
Renkei Taishi is mother of Daidoji Masashige （大道寺政繁） who was the General （城代） at the time, for the purpose of providing common people with a sanctuary.
Renkeiji is a Jodo （浄土宗） temple with a statue of Donryu Shonin （呑龍上人） in the prayer area （呑龍堂） in front.
Donryu Shonin （呑龍上人） is believed to have a miracle charm against bad luck, for easy delivery, parenting, miscarried children.
A street fair, Donryu Day （呑龍デー） is held on the 8th of each month on the temple grounds.
The wooden figure of "Obinzuru-sama," placed in front of the prayer area, is known for its divine power to heal illness and injuries, and for making people smarter.
It enshrines Fukurokuju and is the fifth stop on the tour of Seven Divinities of Good Luck temples （七福神）.
◇ ◆ ◇
Daidoji Masashige （大道寺政繁） was a chief advisor to Hojo Ujimasa and was forced to committ seppuku （harakiri） by Toyotomi Hideyoshi （豊臣秀吉） following the fall of Odawara Castle （小田原城）. His four sons later became a retainer （小姓） of Tokugawa Iemitsu （徳川家光）.